An 87 Year Old College Student Named Rose
The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn’t already know.
I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder. I turned round to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me
with a smile that lit up her entire being.
She said, “Hi handsome. My name is Rose. I’m eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?”
I laughed and enthusiastically responded, “Of course you may!” and she gave me a giant squeeze.
“Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?” I asked.
She jokingly replied, “I’m here to meet a rich husband, get married, and have a couple of kids…”
“No seriously,” I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age.
“I always dreamed of having a college education and now I’m getting one!” she told me.
After class we walked to the student union building and shared a chocolate milkshake.We became instant friends. Every day for the
next three months, we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized listening to this “time machine”
as she shared her wisdom and experience with me.
Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and
she reveled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up.
At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football banquet. I’ll never forget what she taught us. She was
introduced and stepped up to the podium.
As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor. Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, “I’m sorry I’m so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I’ll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell
you what I know.”
As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, “We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop
playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day.
You’ve got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.
We have so many people walking around who are dead and don’t even know it!There is a huge difference between growing
older and growing up.
If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don’t do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old.
If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight.
Anybody can grow older. That doesn’t take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change.
Have no regrets.
The elderly usually don’t have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those
She concluded her speech by courageously singing “The Rose.”
She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives.
At the year’s end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all those years ago. One week after graduation Rose died
peacefully in her sleep.
Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it’s
never too late to be all you can possibly be .When you finish reading this, please send this peaceful word of advice to your friends and family, they’ll really enjoy it!
These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.
REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS
We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give.
What a sweet lady! I pray that she is Heaven proclaiming HIS LOVE.
- idkmybff-ash likes this
- ohhh-anna-sun likes this
- i-smilebecauseithappened reblogged this from alittlebitofmagictogetby
- a-dr0p-in-the-oceann likes this
- bloodyrainbow16 reblogged this from wunderland-rain
- demiradio likes this
- xxeverxx likes this
- sarahberaa12 likes this
- makethescape likes this
- kill-them-with-cuteness reblogged this from h0odrich
- dielannn reblogged this from parydise
- mia-stella-polare reblogged this from hundredthousandthoughts
- awesomeevilkid likes this
- hundredthousandthoughts reblogged this from parydise
- aleksa13 reblogged this from 1mm0rtal
- that-which-wont-kill-you reblogged this from nobody-youd-want-to-know
- low-mans-lyric likes this
- localboy8o8state likes this
- ashbensos likes this
- iiwhovian-in-trainingii reblogged this from fuckingjackharkness
- christotrujillo reblogged this from kellymcdaniel16
- savannerddelirious reblogged this from thewoodlandfairy
- savannerddelirious likes this
- micachoo likes this
- mydream-zanessa likes this
- zanessagaily reblogged this from dmann-rjm
- zanessagaily likes this
- drawntothelight reblogged this from eh519
- myprospettiva likes this
- myprospettiva reblogged this from e-m-c-fashion and added:
- strongerthanaskyscraper reblogged this from niallsthingisntlittle
- e-m-c-fashion reblogged this from vivlio
- inawood likes this
- alyssaalove likes this
- thedevilwearsvanss reblogged this from lifecanbesocruel
- laughingsmilez likes this
- wadechar001 reblogged this from getttfittt
- phantasmag0riia reblogged this from bestofyouuu
- little-miss-fuckk-up likes this
- little-miss-fuckk-up reblogged this from vfreniere
- heavenisaplace-onearth reblogged this from d4fuk and added:
- nobody-youd-want-to-know reblogged this from majest3moonnerd
- kawaiiprincessmichy reblogged this from that-latin-student
- sparkleshinebay reblogged this from majest3moonnerd
- that-latin-student reblogged this from majest3moonnerd
- that-latin-student likes this
- majest3moonnerd reblogged this from anurao
- majest3moonnerd likes this
- anurao reblogged this from bestofyouuu